Saturday, January 26, 2019

Motivation


I really enjoyed our lesson this week on honesty and business ethics.  I found learning about the motivations we have in business from “Making a Living and a Life” from Elder Robbins to be incredibly insightful.  It was interesting to see the different motivations that people have for business, and how those motivations color their interactions with their customers.  Learning about the different grades and the motivations behind them made me stop and take inventory of myself.  Those who get an A grade are motivated by a love of God and their fellow men.  I would like to believe that I fall into this category, however learning about a B level motivator, money, really got me to reflect on which is my primary motivator.  In the past few years, I have had many difficulties that were threaded with not having enough money to take care of my family.  I go to work to earn money to take care of my family and make sure that we have the things we need, and some things we want.  I am now trying to reconcile if my desire to meet the needs of my family falls in the category of loving my fellow men or money.  I will need to do more studying before I feel at peace with where I stand, as I would like to believe that I put God first.

The second thing I learned about this week that really struck me was learning about Magdalena Yesil and her life.  She had such courage and strength to follow her heart and do those things that made her feel fulfilled.  She did not put money at the top of her need but doing what she felt most suited her.  In fact, Yesil lived a modest lifestyle, and had money to invest in her own ventures as a result.  I will strive to have her level of bravery as I develop my career.  I pray that as I find opportunities to learn and grow, I will not shy away from them, but will meet them with courage, strength, and excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment